Monday, October 12, 2009

Distance Learning - How Does it Work?

I had a 4-year old and studying from home was perfect for my lifestyle at that time. I could study and write my assignments in the morning, when my daughter was in play-school and in the evenings when she was asleep... and I still got to spend all these precious afternoons with her, while I was progressing into a new area of knowledge.

Not only did I learn how to write with the reader in mind - I most certainly did also achieve the knowledge of how to sell my stories and articles.

I sold my first short story to a magazine one month before I completed the course and years later I worked as a free-lance journalist in Southern Spain for five years.

I did 10 units which arrived by post and several assignments which I sent to my teacher.

The distance learning courses today are mostly online - but their structure are build pretty much the same: you get your unit and you deliver your assignment, which your tutor comments on.

The difference is the pace and the online facilities. You download your units from the internet and send your assignments back by e-mail. You then receive comments from your tutor the same way. However online distance learning gives you the ability to chat with your teacher and to interact with other students.

I must say I really enjoyed my course even though I did not have the option to interact online and get inspired by co-student. Buy I did get a lot of communication from my teacher, and that feedback was essential and very inspiring.

If you think you can spend some time in between work or looking after your children studying from home - I can recommend it. All you need is a computer and an internet connection. Have a look at what you can study online: http://fincafantastica.biz/oxford-college-online.html.

1 comment:

corporate airport service Toronto said...

This is very convenient especially for people who run an erratic schedule. I just noticed that some parents consider this for their young children which should not be the case. Youngsters are supposed to be trained to interact, to move in a group. How can they possibly do that with this kind of setup? I only find this convenient for those who have jobs to keep.